Back to School -Aug. 26 -NEWS
It was so great to meet everyone last week. Thanks for the great turn out at the Back to School Night and the Meet the Teacher event. I will still have to learn everyone’s parent match. If you were unable to sign up for a November conference at that time, be thinking of when you could be available to do so. There are plenty of spots open on November 7th or 8th.
Last week was a week to work on and learn procedures. This time was also a chance to practice our daily schedules. We went to many places and met many teachers, though we will finish going to special classes this week. Our official gym days will be on M-T-W, so if your child does not have gym shoes - at least wear gym shoes to school on those days! Be watching for library books to come home on Tuesdays - our official Library Day.
One of our special visitors was Mrs. Schwab. She helped make playdough with us! Wow, we made lots of batches and then we were able to play with it. THANK YOU, Mrs. Schwab. Mrs. Brockway (our principal) came in and read the story My Friend Rabbit on Thursday. It tells the story of a friendship between mouse and rabbit, but rabbit seems to get into a lot of trouble - often. Mr. Faller (our superintendent) came in and shared the story Muddy Paws with us on Friday. He also told us about his dogs.
WE WILL BE STARTING COLOR WEDNESDAYS THIS WEEK! TRY TO WEAR THE COLOR RED ON WEDNESDAY. Have any Clifford books? Maybe you can send them in for us to read and share…..
An exciting event happened on the first day of school, when Miss Wiemer brought in a monarch chrysalis on the first day - that she knew was just ready to “POP!” Well, what do you know, it did in the morning! We were able to see the butterfly emerge and were able to release her (no spot) later in the day! Just as exciting, I was able to find a caterpillar on Sat. for us to watch in class, as it continues its metamorphosis.
FYI NEWS EVENTS:
- Happy August Birthday to Clayton!
- We will take MAP tests (computer tests of skills in reading and math) this Friday and next Tuesday (Sept. 3)- the results of these tests will help us see where students are academically (-our strengths and weaknesses -) and help us plan a path for growth
- September 2 Labor Day- we will not be in school
- September 5 - FALL PICTURE DAY - WATCH FOR INFO TO COME HOME IN THURSDAY COMMUNICATORS!
(Thank you for emptying and returning your Communicator in a timely fashion last week.)
- Be sure your alternative pick-up people are up-to-date and on file with the office. We want to be safe when the students go home.
- Call in to the office to explain any daily absences, or expect an a.m. robo call asking. They’re just checking to see if your child is SUPPOSED to be home. If you’re going on an extended vacation/trip, please be sure you have sent in a note. DO NOT MAKE THESE COMMUNICATIONS VIA E-MAILS.
- Be sure your child has a spare set of clothes on hand to change into, in case of emergencies! We have already had to use a set after a milk mishap last week. Bathroom accidents also happen, and it’s best to be prepared.
- We have snack and milk break in the afternoon, but no group snack. Please send something for your child to munch on at this time - no candy please. If you have not purchased snack milk, the cost is $36.00 per semester. You may also send in a juice box or water cup to use at this time. The kids do get hungry by day’s end.
- THANK YOU FOR RETURNING THE DAILY TRANSPORTATION FOLDER!
- Watch for the class monkeys to be coming home for weekend visits soon.
- Lunch for Kindergarten is at 10:45-11:15, with a recess preceding lunch.
I will try and keep you informed about what we are doing through -
a class newsletter like this.
Hope you enjoyed your long weekend! Last week was another week of learning routines and procedures. We now have a monarch chrysalis and caterpillar, and we'll watch them closely and hope they make it to adulthood. We will have taken both our MAP tests on the computers, by the time you read this, though we have many make-ups to take care of first. We will MAP test again in January.
Illness hit our class hard on Friday, and we had four students out. Let’s try and stay healthy this week. I hope we have a full class. I am working to get my blog up to date, or a different way to share news and pictures with our families. It is still a work in progress, and I will let you know when I get it all figured out.
- TRY TO WEAR ORANGE ON WEDNESDAY - SEPT. 4TH - IF YOU HAVE THAT COLOR IN YOUR WARDROBE-NO NEED TO BUY ANY CLOTHES
- FALL PICTURE DAY IS THURSDAY - ALL WILL HAVE THEIR PICTURES TAKEN, BUT YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO BUY A PACKAGE.
- PLEASE TRY TO GET YOUR PERMISSION SLIP IN FOR THE APPLE ORCHARD FIELD TRIP - THIS WEEK.
- “YELLOW DAY” WILL BE NEXT WEDNESDAY - SEPT. 11TH FOLLOWED BY “GREEN DAY” ON SEPT. 18TH.
- THE UPDATED SNACK MILK LIST HAS BEEN SENT TO ME - SO IF YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED SNACK MILK, YOU MAY SEND A WATER CUP OR JUICE TO BE USED DURING OUR AFTERNOON SNACK TIME. THERE IS NO GROUP SNACK PROVIDED.
- SPARE CLOTHES FOR ‘ACCIDENTS’ ARE A NECESSITY AND NEED TO BE AVAILABLE IN THE EVENT OF SPILLS OR BATHROOM ACCIDENTS
- LIBRARY BOOKS WENT HOME ON TUESDAY AND NEED TO BE RETURNED, IF YOUR CHILD WANTS TO CHECK OUT A NEW ONE.
- P.E. DAYS ARE ON M - T - W- SO IF YOUR CHILD DOES NOT HAVE GYM SHOES, DON’T WEAR SANDALS OR FLIP-FLOPS ON THOSE DAYS.
- YOU CAN KEEP TRACK OF YOUR CHILD’S LUNCH ACCOUNT ONLINE AND ADD TO IT ELECTRONICALLY OR SEND AN ENVELOPE CLEARLY MARKED WITH ADDITIONAL FUNDS. LUNCH MILK FOR COLD LUNCH IS 40 CENTS, AND MUST BE DEBITED FROM THE ONLINE ACCOUNT - SO DO NOT SEND COINS.
The sock monkeys made their first weekend visits this weekend. Watch for one to come visit at your house. Share the story about their visits, and if possible send some pics from your phone to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share in the fun.
We have started working on letter/sound id, writing and recognizing numbers, and writing and recognizing our names. Continue to work on these skills at home.
Current newsletter from Monday.
There has been a chill in the air to bring about the start of football season. Our H.S. team is off to a great start after winning their first two games! We will be tracking the NFL teams of the Northern division on a graph of our own in the classroom. As of Sunday, we have two chrysalis in the classroom. One will surely “pop” this week. Ask your child about the ‘other critters’ we will be watching and their life cycle.
We will be hitting the ground running this week by working with letter and sound id and number id. We will also be practicing writing these letters and numbers, along with our names. Write them starting at the top and going down. Capital letters do not belong in the middle or end of words. We will also engage in a lot of reading and working on computer programs in the Success Maker and g-labs, now that school testing is over. I will start to send home a HOMEWORK FOLDER this week. It will come home at the beginning of the week and need to be returned completed by Friday. Do the work as it fits your schedule. It is not much, and should not take long to complete. Last year it went home on Tuesday. I’ve included an “About Me” sheet too.
The monkeys seem to be having a great time on their visits. Send some pics to my email at email@example.com so we can share in the fun you had together. Don’t forget to write a little about your visit in their journals. Please be sure to return the monkeys by Monday.
- If you were unable to get your child’s picture taken on Thursday - watch for the retake day in October. Opportunities to make later purchases will also be available online. They usually send a proof when the purchased packages have been returned.
- P.E. Days are on M.T.W. - please wear proper footwear on those days, if you don’t have an extra pair of gym shoes.
- Library Days are on Tuesday - a new book to be checked out - needs to have the previous one returned.
- SPARE CLOTHES NEED TO BE AVAILABLE IN YOUR CHILD’S LOCKER OR BACKPACK.
- We have milk break in the afternoon. I would recommend sending a snack of crackers/cereal or something similar, as we do not usually have a group snack.
YELLOW DAY WEDNESDAY - TRY TO WEAR YELLOW TO SCHOOL ON WED.
GREEN DAY WEDNESDAY - NEXT WEEK- Sept. 19th
If you have not sent in the field trip $/ permission slips - please do so ASAP. Thanks.
Let us never forget the sad memories of 9/11 and wish for peace for our world. That day was also a Tuesday, 18 years ago. Were you a student then? (I was teaching third grade.)